This biscotti originates with ‘Biscotti di Stephi’, Steph McVox’s biscotti recipe. I love this biscotti for its soft cookie-like crumb. Not too crisp, yet it holds up when dunked into a coffee (or wine, if you will). The addition of green pistachio and red cranberry gives the biscotti a festive flavour. And everything is better with chocolate. Steph’s original recipe (below) has toasted almonds—and the combination of almonds and chocolate and orange zest is damn fine. Happy baking! -bvox
“These biscotti are not too hard; you can eat them without dunking!” -Steph McVox
Biscotti di Stephi
- 1/2 cup whole almonds (I used slivered raw pistachios, not toasted)
- 1/2 cup chocolate, chopped (white, dark or milk, or mix them all together)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped (optional)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp of amaretto (I used orange liqueur)
- The zest of a medium orange, finely chopped
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg or poudre douce (I used 1/2 tsp of Steph’s poudre douce blend)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- If using almonds, lightly toast them in a 325 degree oven, for 8-10 minutes. Let cool and chop into halves or thirds. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at time, then vanilla, Amaretto (or orange liqueur), and zest.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg or poudre douce, and salt. Add to creamed mixture; mix until blended.
- Add chopped almonds/pistachios, chocolate, and cranberries; mix until blended.
- Divide mixture in half, place on greased and floured cookie sheet (or parchment-lined) and form into two logs about 1/2″ thick, 1 1/2″ wide and 12″ long, spacing at least 2″ apart.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway.
- Transfer from the baking sheet to a rack. Let cool 30 minutes. Place on cutting board, and slice about ½’ thick. Lay the slices flat on the baking sheet and return to the oven for 10 min. more turning once, to dry slightly.
- Let cool on rack and if desired, drizzled melted chocolate on top.
- Store in tightly covered container for a week, or freeze.
Makes 2 1/2 dozen biscotti.