- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 cup pearl onions, peeled and halved (or chopped regular white onions)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes (roasted are great too)
- 3 carrots, chopped in to bite size pieces
- 3 parsnips, chopped in to bite size pieces
- 2 cups brown mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 3/4 tsp dry mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups veggie stock
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Dash of worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas or fresh blanched peas
- 6-8 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook onions, carrots, parsnips, potatoes and mushrooms, stirring often, for about 10 minutes or until softened and starting to turn golden. Add fresh herbs, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for one minute.
Sprinkle flour and dried mustard over vegetable mixture; cook, stirring, for minute. Gradually whisk in stock and cream; bring to boil, stirring. Add other ingredients, like soy sauce etc. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning. Remove bay leaf. Pour into 8-cup casserole dish.
Pastry: Keeping remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and damp towel, place 1 sheet on work surface; brush lightly with butter. Scrunch gently with fingertips to about 6- x 5-inch oval; place on filling. Repeat with remaining phyllo to cover filling completely.
Bake in 425°F (220°C) oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until filling is bubbling and phyllo is golden. Let cool on rack for 5 minutes before serving.