Loaded Nachos with “Cheesy” Dip
- 12 ounces russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1‐inch pieces
- 1 small carrot, peeled and cut into ½‐inch pieces (1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1½ tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1½ teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon of your favourite hot sauce
- 1/4 spicy salsa
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tsp mixed spices*
*Feel free to add any spices you like! I added some of Steph McVox’s homemade taco seasoning, but you could add chili powder, cayenne pepper etc.
- 8 ounces tortilla chips
- 1 recipe for nacho dip, warmed
- 1 small can of black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh salsa
- 1 jalapeno chiles, stemmed and sliced thin
- 1/4 each red and orange peppers, seeded and diced
- Green onions, sliced thin
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
For the Nacho Dip
Bring 2 quarts water to boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add potatoes, carrot, and cashews and cook until tender, about 12 minutes; save 1/2 of cooking liquid then drain in colander.
Combine cooked vegetables and cashews, 1/3 cup reserved cooking liquid or water, 2 tablespoons oil, nutritional yeast, vinegar, hot sauce, salsa and salt in blender. Pulse until chopped and combined, about 10 pulses, scraping down sides of blender jar as needed. Process mixture on high speed until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Add more cooking liquid if you need to thin it out.
Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in now-empty saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and jalapeno and cook until softened and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, chipotle, cumin, and mustard and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds; remove from heat.
Stir processed potato mixture into onion mixture in saucepan and bring to brief simmer over medium heat to heat through. Transfer to bowl and serve immediately—or top it with nachos. Note: this usually makes extra and it freezes well. Bring to room temperature and whisk well.
For the Nachos