One of summer’s most refreshing cocktails gets kicked up a notch with the addition of mint in the simple syrup and a splash of coconut rum. Just try and make this without singing Harry Nilsson’s song Coconut. “She put de lime in de coconut…” -Steph McVox
Ingredients for each cocktail, amounts are approximate depending on the size of your glass:
- 6 sprigs of fresh mint
- 1 lime, rinsed and quartered
- 1 oz mint simple syrup (recipe below)
- 1. 5 oz of white rum
- .5 oz of Malibu coconut rum
- Chilled club soda
- In a big, sturdy glass or pint-sized mason jar, add mint and squeeze the three lime quarters in it, then place the squeezed limes in the glass with the mint. Muddle together so the flavours meld.
- Add simple syrup, rums and stir. Fill glass halfway with ice, top up with club soda and give it another stir. Garnish with a mint sprig and the fourth lime wedge.
Mint Simple Syrup: 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, heated until the sugar dissolves, then let it steep with mint leaves for at about 30 minutes before you strain it and store it in a glass container in the refrigerator (up to 2 weeks).
Bartender’s Note:These are so refreshing that you may not stop at one. If you have more than one, use the same glass and do not discard the mint and limes, they build the flavour and you will not get hung-over (we think the lime and the mint counteract the rum and sugar…think of it as a restorative).